Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Working on cases today.

Met with a client regarding a lawsuit this morning.  This client was referred by another attorney who does not do litigation work.  This one is in the Salt Lake Department of the Third District Court.  Typically, when a summons and complaint are served in the State of Utah, the Defendant has 20 days in which to respond in writing to the complaint.

The response can be in the form of an Answer, but the response could also be in the form of filing a motion, such as a Rule 12(b)(6) motion.  In this case, we are going to file an Answer and a Counterclaim.

My next appointment was a telephone conference with a client who has recently filed for bankruptcy relief under Chapter 7.  This client needed to speak with me about his car and his car payments.  He wanted to be sure who he should be making payments to, the amount of the payments and when his title was going to be released to him.

I spoke with a debt collector for one of my clients who wanted me to verify my client's social security number and date of birth.  That was the first time I've had someone call me and request that I divulge that information to them.  Of course I did not do it.  I requested to speak with their attorney.  I was able to do so and had a pleasant conversation with him and the situation was resolved amicably.

Sometimes all you need to do is communicate and the situation resolves itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment